Thursday, July 06, 2006

Getting back on track...

I started this blog to track in some way the steps I'm taking to get back in what I really like, which is the technology field. For thousands of reasons I have not been able to do what I want and I decided to take the bull by the horns and work towards getting back on track. I'm going to be doing small things that will allow me to learn something new everyday. I'll also try to read more and keep up to date with what is going on out there. This is a predominately male dominated field and I want to make a place for me in spite of that.
When I started as a Programmer back in Chile I was several times discriminated for being a woman. After so much work and little recognition I kind of gave up. I kept on trying to learn but it's hard when you are busy with other things and not directly working on the things you are studying.
The years have gone by and I worked and many things and I hated it. I finally got tired of that so I left my previous job to work for a non profit that will give me the chance to learn and apply the things I learn while I do other administrative stuff. This is a great deal because even when I have the knowledge for an entry position in any IT department, I lack on experience and that seems to be a big deal of a problem. The idea is to gain that experience in a friendly environment doing work that makes me happy and help me to grow.
Well, I wish myself good luck and I will post my journey to become and really deserve to be called Geek.

No comments: